Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Grade Inflation, self inflation

     The articles that we were expected to read this week I felt were very informative.  I know that as students we think a lot of times that if we simply show up to class that we deserve credit.  However, I am coming to understand that there is a lot more that it expected of you, and over even the past week have seen that I should expect more of myself.  The articles explained that our generation is narcissistic, and that we all think that we are so good that we stop losing sight of the things that really are important, such as putting the time in and getting the grades.  These articles I’m glad that I read, because over the first part of this semester I really had been struggling, and I had become so used to getting credit for the simple things, and didn’t realize that especially in college, that you have to push yourself because those “simple things” are expected, not rewarded.  I don’t necessarily agree with the point made in the article that employers may not even blink at an application for a student that has a 4.0 because their grade is likely inflated.  This in one respect I do agree that employers should want hard-workers, but in the other I don’t think that a smart person shouldn’t be considered for doing well.  The whole idea behind grade-inflation I think should be diminished, students should get their own grades and not be reliant on someone ALWAYS helping them out, I have recently seen this for myself, and over the next few weeks am hoping to get myself back on the right track because I know that  bigger things are expected of me, and that with the right attitude I will be able to set things straight again. 


No comments:

Post a Comment